Saturday, June 25, 2016

Lesson 10 Reflection and Orthopedic Impairment Experience

I completed the orthopedic impairment simulation this week. I was able to participate in this experience at my local mall, and was able to bring my children with me. For me, this was a fairly difficult and a surprisingly emotional experience. The first thing that we did after arriving was to go buy a soft pretzel. The cashier was so friendly to me, and I made a special note that she looked me directly in the eye and was upbeat during our interaction. After we bought our pretzel and drink, I realized that the only way for me to get them to our table was to place the hot pretzel and full soda on my lap or have my children carry it for me. I needed both hands on the wheels of my chair or I wouldn't be going anywhere. I continued to have moment after moment of realizing my current limitations; the displays in stores that I couldn't fit between, the amount of time it takes to get from one side of the mall to the other, the way that water from the drinking fountain dribbles down your chin when your face is vertical coming at instead of horizontal above that fountain, how much shoulder and back strength it takes to move around independently in a wheelchair.... I had a moment when trying to use the restroom without using my legs where I teared up in frustration. I could not figure out how to transfer to the toilet without using my legs. I literally sat in the stall and googled how to do it. and I couldn't even do it with those instructions. The realization that if this were my impairment that I would need assistance to just use the bathroom impacted me. I had been thinking that this experience would be interesting, but I was not prepared for how emotional I felt. I will absolutely remember this experience.
This week's reading focused on differentiating instruction. After my experience in the wheelchair, I feel like I have an enhanced sense of the importance of reaching students who have impairments to their learning, and to differentiate for them so that they can experience success and participate in their classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment