Saturday, May 7, 2016

Lesson 03 Reflection

I have to be honest, the videos of the Serbian institutions that we watched this week really affected me. I couldn't help but think of my own mother, who passed away two years ago due to the effects of frontotemporal dementia. As I thought about the care she received in stark contrast to what the Serbian people were subjected to, I was appalled. I had a hard time dealing with my own feelings, even knowing that she was under the full time care of a full and competent staff in a comfortable, loving, supportive environment and can only imagine in my worst nightmares what the families of the Serbian patients must have felt, giving up their children to the government without knowing where they were or the conditions they were living in.
After watching those scenes, I was able to take heart in the fact that in our country we are doing many things to support the people who need care and help because of handicaps and disabilities. I hope with all of my heart that other countries are able to progress and move forward in their treatment of these people, looking to America if necessary (even though our legislation may not be perfect, it is an effort made).

2 comments:

  1. Those videos really were eye opening. Thank you for sharing your experiences and about your mom, I can only imagine how hard it must be at times. Our country really is amazing and I think it's so easy to take advantage of the privileges we have here until we see how children our educated elsewhere. I didn't realize all the benefits people with disabilities and special needs have in this country, they are vast and increasing to better help the special needs population.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. I am grateful you feel comforted by the care she received. I just can't imagine not knowing and having to wonder how our loved ones are being treated. I would love to hear if the efforts the United States made in bringing this problem in Serbia to light has made a difference.

    ReplyDelete